September 21, 2022
Beyond Plastic LLC
Dear Fred Pinczuk,
We've got exciting news: The USDA BioPreferred® Program is celebrating 20 years as the Federal Government's official advocate and market accelerator for biobased products.
As a Program Participant, you have been instrumental to our success, and we want to extend our sincere thanks for your involvement and support. We also want to recognize you as a BioPreferred Program Champion and show our appreciation for businesses like yours that have shown faith in our mission.
To mark the 20th Anniversary, we are sending a special "Champion" promotional badge for use in your marketing and communications. This badge signifies your long-term commitment to using renewable materials, reducing our reliance on petroleum, supporting the bioeconomy, and bettering the planet. (Attached are both jpg and png formats for your convenience.)
USDA's BioPreferred Program was first introduced in the 2002 Farm Bill with the goal of increasing the development, purchase, and use of biobased products. It requires federal agencies and contractors to give purchasing preference to biobased products.
As you know the USDA BioPreferred Program also includes a voluntary certification and labeling initiative for biobased products. You may recall last year we celebrated the 10th Anniversary of our USDA Certified Biobased Product Label.
While we've accomplished a lot in 20 years, we're even more excited by the momentum and growth we see in the bioeconomy and its prospects for the future. Here's what we're seeing:
- Over 7,000 products in our catalog eligible for federal purchasing preference across 139 product categories
- Increased reporting of biobased purchases by federal contractors
- Continued increase in applications for certification
- Over 6,200 USDA Certified Biobased Products
- Participation from businesses in 47 countries and more than 1,500 companies in the U.S.
- A 536% increase in certification of upstream materials from 2015 to 2022! This includes binders, chemicals, cleaner components, fibers and fabrics, foams, lubricants, oils, fats and waxes, paint and coating compounds, personal care products components, plastic resins, rubber materials, and textile processing materials.
Again, thanks. We hope you display your BioPreferred Program Champion badge with pride.
Very truly yours,
Director, Business Development Division
Rural Business-Cooperative Service
USDA rural Development